Pickled Watermelon rind?

 Exactly right! Who would have thought that you can pickle water melon rind? Well, I got to try it and it is pretty good. My husband said it almost tasted like chunky pineapple tidbits, less the cinnamon flavor. It is certainly new to me, but I am the kind of person that don't like to waste anything. This has a new taste and I like it. I have yet to try other ways to use water melon rind, but here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients: (Yields 5-6 pints)
4 lbs watermelon rind
2 cups vinegar (white)
2 cups water
4 cups sugar
3 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon whole spice
1 lemon, sliced thin

Brine
1/4 cup of salt
1 quart water

Preparations:
Pare watermelon rind and remove all pink. Cut into cubes and soak overnight in the brine solution.
Drain rind, wash  in fresh water and drain.

Combine all remaining ingredients and boil for 5 minutes. Add rind a few at a time and boil for about 30 minutes. Pack rind into sterilized jar and cover with with boiling syrup and seal. Process in boiling water path for 10 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment